Losing weight without frustration and cramp: many people who suffer from overweight and want to lose weight have already gone through an odyssey. Attracted by promises like “5 kilos in 10 days”, “eat what you want and still lose weight”, … or something like that, people are always going through all kinds of (and impossible) cures, one-sided diets and “miracle treatments”.
After some time most people have to realize that it was still the “easier exercise” to lose weight than to keep the target weight for a long time. Maybe you too? Here you will learn which rules have to be observed to achieve a healthy reduction of your body weight permanently.
Ten years ago, we all thought the secret to weight loss was eating less and moving more—that’s what doctors told us, after all. And that’s true, but there are some secret tricks that can score you bonus points. The yo-yo effect known to all has occurred: The weight has risen again after the end of the diet – often even above the initial weight. And that is exactly the point. Weight loss is only effective if the lower weight can be maintained over a longer period of time with a healthy, balanced diet.
Simple practical tips:
Be economical when it comes to spreading and cooking fat. One teaspoon can be a dosage aid.
Use coated pans for frying, you get by with very little oil. Remember: Breaded and fried foods absorb the fat like a sponge. Prefer lean meat – whether from pork, beef, veal, game or poultry.
Alternate with meatless main courses. Meat does not have to be on the table every day.
Plan more often fish – the recommendation is: 1 – 2 times per weekPrefer low-fat topping for your bread! Most sausages and meat spreads hide huge amounts of fat.
It is better to use turkey sausage, ham, lean roast – thinly sliced.
Try lean cheeses (up to 45% FiT) such as Berggraf, Magrom, Bierkäse, Quargel, Bad Ischler, Bergtilsiter, Gervais “leicht”, … . Self-prepared curd spreads (with herbs, Liptau style, horseradish or tuna, …) also bring variety to your bread and still help you to lose weight.
mentality to our stress levels and biology influence the size of our fat cells—and our pants. Thankfully, a pool of forward-thinking experts have made it their mission to devise solutions to counteract newly-discovered weight loss saboteurs—and we’ve brought them right here to your screen. Read on to discover some fascinating and effective weight loss tricks you probably haven’t tried before. Who knows? One of them could be the key to that lifelong flat belly you’ve been looking for.
- To bind soups and sauces, use flour or corn starch mixed with milk instead of the usual fat baking. You should rather avoid the “shot” of cream or the cup of fresh cream – a spoonful of coffee cream or sour cream will do the trick (if necessary at all). Puree some vegetables or a boiled potato – this also makes the soup or sauce creamier.
- Are you a sweet tooth? The low-fat alternative to the puff pastry pot golache, Black Forest cherry cake or cream slice are pastries made from yeast dough, sponge cake or strudel dough; e.g. apple strudel, pot cake (with a little cream) with fruits, sponge cake roulade (filled with jam), yeast dough strudel, … . Not only cakes with cream fillings contain a lot of fat. Numerous “dry” cakes are also prepared with large amounts of fat.
- Gusto on chocolate? Treat yourself to a little bit of chocolate every now and then and enjoy it. But perhaps gummy bears, candy or chewing gum (= 0 g fat) can help you with your sweet taste.
- “If I could only stop … leave the pack with peanuts, chips and crackers better closed – a low-fat alternative would be fresh raw food with yoghurt dips.
- Make your side dish and vegetables the main course and the meat the side dish. Slice your bread a little thicker – but lay the topping on top.
- Take Asian and Italian cuisine as your model: lots of rice, pasta, potatoes and vegetables. If it’s full grain, then it’s perfect.
- Pulses can also be used to conjure up delicious dishes that even the die-hard advocate of down-to-earth cuisine will enjoy (e.g. bean goulash with bread, lentil stew with potatoes, …).
- There’s never a shortage of vegetables! Whether steamed or raw – according to your taste. Also try tomatoes, radishes, pickled vegetables, … or a salad bowl in the evening for a cold snack.
- Plan daily wholemeal products: a delicious cereal for breakfast, wholemeal breads and pastries, wholemeal noodles, … Also use wholemeal flour for cooking: for dumplings, pancakes or cakes
- Bring movement into your everyday life with, for example, climbing stairs instead of using the lift, working with the bicycle instead of the car, …
- Plan at least 2 x per week hours of exercise (e.g. cycling, swimming, running, …).
Good or bad food? Tips and tricks for your desired weight:
Remember: No single food makes you fat, only the entire diet. There are therefore no “good” and “bad” foods and therefore no strict prohibitions. Always try to eat a varied diet – this ensures that you are optimally supplied with all important vitamins and minerals.
Fittifiers instead of fatteners
Get it more often:
- Grain products (bread, pastries, rice, dumplings, …)
- Preferably on products made from wholemeal flour
- Legumes, vegetables and salads
Drink, drink, drink …
Drink water, especially before meals. It is often claimed that drinking water can help with weight loss, and that’s true. Drinking water can boost metabolism by 24_30% over a period of 1_1.5 hours, helping you burn off a few more calories.
1.5 l of liquid per day should be at least quench your thirst with tap water, mineral water, (possibly slightly sweetened) teas, strongly diluted fruit juices, vegetable juices instead of lemonade, must, beer, wine, …
Eating more often is better
Several small meals spread over the day instead of the usual “3 big ones” prevents feelings of ravenous hunger. Treat yourself to a small snack in the form of fruit, a milk product, an alarm clock or low-fat bread. Not only do they all fill you up wonderfully, they also supply you with many important vitamins and minerals.
Using smaller plates has been shown to help some people automatically eat fewer calories. However, the plate-size effect doesn’t appear to affect everyone. Those who are overweight seem to be more affected.
There is a lot of power in the whole grain – whole grain products not only make you full longer than white flour products, they also help to keep your digestion going (if you drink enough).
Take probiotic supplements
Taking probiotic supplements containing bacteria of the Lactobacillus subfamily have been showen to reduce fat mass. However, the same doesn’t apply to all lactobacillus species.
More Practical Tips:
Grease makes you fat
Bread, noodles, potatoes, … were for a long time wrongly frowned upon as fatteners. It is not the bread or the beans that make you fat, but the fat topping on the bread or the fat bacon on the lentils.
60 – 80 g fat per day – it really shouldn’t be more – but we Austrians often eat twice as much. Many things that taste particularly good to us unfortunately contain a lot of fat. And the insidious thing about it is that you don’t always see it in their eyes. When it comes to fat, you can be stingy – it pays off!
If fat, then “high-quality” fat – give preference to vegetable oils. In addition to plenty of vitamin E, they contain unsaturated fatty acids and have a positive effect on elevated cholesterol levels.
Exercise supports weight loss
Regular physical exercise contributes to your well-being and helps you lose weight.
It is important that you enjoy it. Feeling good is everything. With dogged training it’s like a strict diet – you don’t last long.